The event will be held at Johnston Central Library, Farnham Centre, Farnham Street, Cavan, on Wednesday 5 August and Thursday 6 August, and will include the following selection of lectures:
- Keynote Lecture presented by Dr Patrick Fitzgerald from the The Mellon Centre for Migration Studies in Omagh.
- Causes and issues of the Civil War, with Ian Kenneally
- The Irish in the American Civil War, with Damian Shiels*
- Famous battles, including Gettysburg and Fredericksburg, with Dr David Murphy
- Civil War photographer Matthew Brady (reputed to be Cavan born), with Aidan O'Hara
- Cavan people in the Civil War, with Dr Brendan Scott
- ‘Fighting Irish’, with Matthew Gilsenan (Celtic Tenors) and Dr Myles Dungan
* Last weekend, I attended the Irish Genealogical Research Society's Open Day in London where Damian was presenting a lecture about the Irish in the Civil War. It was absolutely fascinating, from a historical perspective as much as from a genealogical perspective. Any researcher with a missing ancestral link from the mid-19th century will find Damian's presentation opens up a completely fresh avenue of exploration. I heartily recommend it. Don't miss it.