Friday, 22 August 2014

Researching WW1 – Sources & Resources, PRONI

PRONI - Titanic Boulevard, Belfast
Details of PRONI's conference Researching the First World War – Sources and Resources have been confirmed. 

The event, which will be aimed at community groups and researchers, is designed to illustrate the sources in PRONI for First World War research and the other resources available to groups or individuals planning First World War projects.

The Keynote address will be given by Dr Timothy Bowman of University of Kent, on “Ireland In The First World War”. 

There will also be contributions from Jason Bourke on “East Belfast and the Great War”, and The Museums of the Royal Irish Regiment. 

Speakers from The Living Legacies 1914-18 Engagement Centre at Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland Screen, Community Relations Council and Heritage Lottery Fund will also be attending, and the event will see the official launch of PRONI's WWW1 Source Guide, which was released in July.

The free event will take place on Tuesday 5 September, from 10am to 4:30pm. Booking is essential; to reserve your place, email or telephone 028 90 534800.

Clare County Library: More school roll books released

Clare County Library's excellent website has added some more terrific resources worth checking by those whose ancestors were raised near Kilmihil, in the west of the county.

The following school rolls have been transcribed by Brian Doyle and Peter Beirne, both of the Local Studies Centre, and are available for viewing, free of charge:

Lacken National School Roll Books, boys 1865-1927, and girls 1889-1922.
Leitrim National School Rolls Books, boys 1896-1922, and girls 1888-1922.

The books are searchable by surname or date.

Don't miss the NIFHS Open Day, Saturday 23 August
Click poster for more details
The North of Ireland Family History Society will be holding its Open Day tomorrow and all genealogists and would-be genealogists are invited, whatever their ages.

A spokesperson told Irish Genealogy News: "This year, in a first for the Society, NIFHS is including the Open Day event as part of the island's Heritage Week initiative. This is because this year's Heritage Week theme – Generations exploring heritage together – is so appropriate. The Society is keen to encourage younger generations to explore their roots and we have introduced a new 'Junior Genie' character that has proved very successful.

"There will also be a focus on World War One. One of our Council members, Mike McKeag, will be helping visitors find more information about their ancestors and encouraging them to submit their relatives' details to the Imperial War Museum's 'Lives of the First World War' project."

The doors to the Society's Research Centre & Library will be open from 10:30am to 4:30pm and the Society's friendly volunteers will be on hand to help members and non-members alike to discover  its many useful resources or to offer some research guidance.

The research centre is at Unit C4, Valley Business Centre, 67 Church Road, Newtownabbey, Co Antrim BT36 7LS.

Ancestry adds Walker's Hibernian Magazine marriages
Ancestry has added an index to Irish marriages announced in Walker's Hibernian Magazine (WHM) from 1771 to 1812. It also includes as an appendix a list of births, marriages, and deaths for the years 1793 and 1794 from the Anthologia Hibernica.

Just under 30,000 entries are in this database, which was indexed by volunteers as one of Ancestry's World Archives Indexing Projects; as such, it is free to users.

The marriages from WHM are listed under both the husband's and the wife's surnames. This double listing optimizes your search capabilities because if you do not know one name, you can search under the other and find out what the spouse's name is.

Some issues of Walker’s Hibernian Magazine are available online on websites like the HathiTrust Digital Library and Google Books, and can sometimes be found in university and other libraries.

Thursday, 21 August 2014

New book: Resting in Larne's Green Land

Members of Larne Family History Society (part of the North of Ireland Family History Society) have compiled a new publication that will be of interest to those with ancestral connections to this area of County Antrim.

The book, Resting in Larne's Green Land, contains details of gravestone inscriptions and interments from 1904 to 2012 in the Old Section of Greenland Cemetery, Larne. It is a comprehensive 320-page book which has the names set out in alphabetical order. It also includes a plan of the cemetery and a series of photos of some of the more interesting gravestones.

It will be for sale shortly via the North of Ireland Family History Society's website at a cost of £15.

Wednesday, 20 August 2014

FindMyPast releases C19th Australian passenger lists

FindMyPast have added two new collections that could be of interest to those with Irish roots. They are:
The Inward collection comprises some 2.1million records. Those up to 1871 include separate lists for 'Assisted' passengers or migrants travelling on a sponsorship scheme. 'Unassisted' travellers were those who had paid their own fare or were privately sponsored.

The information included varies but most include name, age, nationality, native place (sometimes place of origin, sometimes last residence), date and port of arrival, ship name, and departure port.

The Outward collection includes 1.7million records and holds similar detail as the Inward records.

These two record sets are now part of FindMyPast's Australian & New Zealand collection, and also join the World Collection.

Tonight: WW1 through the sources at PRONI

Two archivists – Dr Ann McVeigh and Ian Montgomery – from the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland will be at Carrickfergus Museum and Civic Centre this evening, delving into PRONI's unique archive of photographs and documents.

The presentations, which will incorporate film footage as well as photographs, will appeal not only to those interested in family history research, but for all those who have an interest in WW1. Dr Ann McVeigh's talk will look at the active role played by women during the First World War, at home in the munitions factories and abroad, in diverse roles from nurses to lorry drivers.

Refreshments will be served, so the Museum needs to know if you intend to come. Please call 028 9335 8049 or email