|Files can be inspected in the NAI's Reading Room|
These files relate to claims for compensation for loss of or damage to property that occurred as a result of military action between July 1921 and March 1923. Claims were made under the Damage to Property (Compensation) Act, 1923.
The National Archives describes these files as recording 'the name and address of the claimant and the amount paid in compensation and also a brief narrative of the military action or incident that led to the loss of the property, along with an inventory of the property lost. Using these files, a detailed picture of every incident causing loss of, destruction of, or damage to property during the Civil War can be established.'
While unlikely to help your research in a genealogical sense, these files can add to your understanding of your family's experiences, and those of their neighbours, in the early 1920s.
To view the lists of files for each county, just click on the links below. Images of the files are not available and the files can be inspected in the NAI's Reading Room in Bishop Street, Dublin 8.
- County Carlow (FIN/COMP/2/1)
- County Clare (FIN/COMP/2/3)
- Cork City (FIN/COMP/2/27)
- County Cork (FIN/COMP/2/4)
- County Donegal (FIN/COMP/2/5)
- Dublin City (FIN/COMP/2/28)
- County Dublin (FIN/COMP/2/6)
- County Kerry (FIN/COMP/2/8)
- County Kilkenny (FIN/COMP/2/10)
- County Laois (FIN/COMP/2/12)
- County Leitrim (FIN/COMP/2/11)
- County Limerick (FIN/COMP/2/13)
- County Longford (FIN/COMP/2/14)
- County Louth (FIN/COMP/2/15)
- County Mayo (FIN/COMP/2/16)
- County Meath (FIN/COMP/2/17)
- County Monaghan (FIN/COMP/2/18)
- County Sligo (FIN/COMP/2/21)
- County Tipperary (FIN/COMP/2/22)
- County Westmeath (FIN/COMP/2/24)
- County Wicklow (FIN/COMP/2/26)
Seven counties remain uncatalogued: Cavan, Galway, Kildare, Offaly, Roscommon, Wexford and Waterford. These will be listed as they are completed.
In total, the collection includes an estimated 20,000 files, and the listing work has been funded by the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht