Each seminar compares towns from a chronological and interdisciplinary perspective, and this year's focus will be on towns with Anglo-Norman, Gaelic and Plantation origins.
Here's a brief overview of the towns to be covered (I have not included all sessions):
- Anglo-Norman towns based on Gaelic monastic sites (Downpatrick, Kells, Kildare, Kilkenny Irishtown), with Cóilín Ó Drisceoil
- Anglo-Norman towns based on castles (Athlone, Carlingford, Carlow, Carrickfergus, Fethard, Kilkenny, Hightown, Mullingar and Trim), with Margaret Murphy
- Anglo-Norman towns focused on coastal and riverine trading activity (Dublin, Dundalk, Limerick), with Andy Halpin
- Demonstration of Digital atlas of Derry~Londonderry, with Keith Lilley
- Gaelic townships in the middle ages (Cavan, Ennis, Longford, Tuam, Sligo), with Brian Ó Dálaigh
- Colonial towns (Belfast, Carrickfergus, Derry~Londonderry), with Nick Brannon
- Plantation towns (Armagh, Bandon), with Annaleigh Margey
Venue: Academy House, 19 Dawson Street, Dublin 2.
Everyone is welcome to attend. There is no registration fee for this seminar, but your need to email to secure your place ('Seminar' in subject line). Details.